Baseball rallies to top Kennedy 8–4, advances to second round of playoffs

[score id=”44733″ align=”right”]
The baseball team overcame a four-run deficit to trump the Kennedy Cavaliers 8–4 Friday, advancing to the second round of the playoffs.

The Cavaliers scored first with three runs in the top of the second inning. Later, they added another run in the fourth.

However, the Vikings were able to tag a Cavalier runner out at home to end the fourth inning, shifting the momentum to their side.

The Vikings have been resilient all season, and Friday’s game was no exception. The Vikes mounted an incredible comeback, scoring five runs in the bottom of the fourth inning.

First baseman Jack Prill singled to drive in the first run, which was followed by an RBI double from shortstop Ian Atkinson. Pinch-hitter Evan Koretsky tied the game with a double that scored two runners, and third baseman Alex Clark knocked in the go-ahead run on a single.

Pitcher Ezra Pine on the mound for the Vikes, who defeated the Kennedy Cavaliers 7–4  Friday in the first round of the playoffs.
Pitcher Ezra Pine on the mound for the Vikes, who defeated the Kennedy Cavaliers 7–4 Friday in the first round of the playoffs.

Clark attributed the comeback in part to the team’s morale even while facing a deficit.

“We all did a great job playing as a team, keeping the energy up, and picking each other up,” he said.

The Vikes tallied two more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, driven in by Prill and outfielder Danny Mills.

On the mound, Ezra Pine pitched the first two innings, Max Palermo pitched the following three, and Tyler Hwang shut down the Cavaliers over the final two innings.

The Vikings hope to continue their playoff run when they face the B-CC Barons Monday at 4.