Wrestling defeats Rockville in tough 37-23 match

The wrestling team remained undefeated on the season improving their record to 6-0 in dual meets after defeating Rockville 37-23. The Vikes look strong as they head into the second half of the season, despite injuries leaving several holes in the lineup.

The Vikings got off to an early lead with 106lb Clark Boinis winning a decisive 16-6 major, putting the score at 4-0.

However, the advantage didn’t last long. The Vikes dropped their next two matches and were forced to forfeit a third due to injuries in the 126lb class. They were now down 4-15.

Luckily, the Vikings’ strong and balanced lineup allowed them to bounce back with pins from 132lb Andrew Shiman, 145lb Hamoon Shokoohinia, and 152lb Kevin Cullinane.

Four other Vikes also got wins in their matches, ending with heavyweight John Vipulis who closed the day with a commanding 3-1 victory.

Rockville was one of the toughest opponents Whitman will face all year, so the team knew it was going to be a challenge going into the meet.

“Rockville was one of our tougher opponents,” Shokoohinia said. “They came in 6-1 so we knew we could not take it easy on them.”

The Vikes have a series of tournaments before returning back to dual meets at Blake Jan. 27.