Football beats Blair 17-13, won’t make playoffs

Despite winning Friday night and finishing the regular season on a four-game win streak, the Vikings football team failed to clinch a playoff spot, ending its season.

The Vikings beat Blair 17-13 Friday night, but needed Richard Montgomery to win against Clarksburg for the Vikings to make the playoffs. Clarksburg and Whitman each finished their seasons with 7-3 records while Blair’s record dropped to 4-6.

All in all, it was a successful season for the Vikings despite not making the playoffs; they finished 7-3 for the first time since 2009.

On Friday, Whitman started off the scoring in the first quarter with a one-yard rushing touchdown by fullback Jacob Pittsenberger.

Placekicker Zach Snyder then hit a 39-yard field goal, increasing the Vikes’ lead to 10-0.

Football beat Blair 17-3, but won't make playoffs this year. Photo by Tyler Jacobson.
Zac Morton (4) makes a play. The Vikings beat Blair 17-3 Friday, but won’t make playoffs this year. Photo by Tyler Jacobson.

Blair then got on the board after some help from a trick play in the second quarter. On fourth and seven, Blair’s punter took the snap and ran the ball 37 yards, setting up a score later on the drive. Whitman running-back Zac Morton then answered with a touchdown of his own. The score at halftime was 17-7.

It turned out that was all the points the Vikings would need. Blair would score again in the fourth, but it wasn’t enough.

Morton stood out on offense again for the Vikes. He had 116 yards on top of his touchdown. He finished with 1498 yards on the season.

It was a remarkable and historic season for Morton who finished his career as arguably the greatest Viking running-back of all time. He now holds the triple-crown of rushing records for the Vikings. He has the two highest single season rushing totals for a Viking. He holds the record for the most yards in a single game with 282 last year and has now rushed for the most career yards in Whitman history.

Despite falling short of playoff hopes, coach Kuhn was still satisfied with the team’s season.

‘We had a tremendous season,” coach Jim Kuhn said, “In my mind, this is a playoff team, it just didn’t work out that way.”

While many prominent players on the team, like Morton, will graduate this year, the juniors on the team remain optimistic when looking forward to next season.

“We’ve got high expectations for next year,” lineman Alec Spear said. “With four offensive linemen returning, Evan at quarterback, Anton at tight end and also Nolan at wide receiver, we will have an experienced team in the playoff hunt.”