Michael Dunn (’12) to start as offensive lineman for University of Maryland football

It’s hard to forget 6’5”, 200-plus pound Michael Dunn, the former star offensive lineman for the Vikings.

Dunn, a sophomore at University of Maryland, did the near impossible on Aug. 19, when he received a starting offensive lineman position and a full scholarship, after playing as a walk-on last year.

Dunn fond out he had the starting job in a meeting with Maryland Head Coach Garry Edsall.

“It was a long and unexpected journey that definitely involved some luck, but everything was worth it,” Dunn said. “It was a shock since I didn’t think it would happen so soon.”

Vikings Assistant Coach John Floyd, who worked with Dunn while he was a Viking, was proud to see Dunn’s success at the next level.

“It’s gratifying to see [that] what we’re trying to teach here translates to the next level,” Floyd said.

Dunn’s receptiveness to information made him a quick learner in his senior year in 2011 Floyd said. He won second team all-county honors for exceptional play.

Several college football programs contacted Dunn, including Lehigh, Fordham and Maryland. He decided to stay in his home state and attend Maryland, the only Division I school that showed much interest in him.

Dunn made the team as a walk-on his freshman year in 2012, but was designated as a “redshirt,” meaning he didn’t play his freshman year, which gave him time to develop as a player.

Vikings Head Coach Jim Kuhn knew Dunn would be successful after high school.

“I’m happy as a coach getting the opportunity to work with people like [Dunn],” he said.

Dunn had a solid season opener for Maryland against Florida International on Aug. 31 in a 43-10 win. His strong blocking helped running back Jacquille Veii and quarter back C.J. Brown gain 251 yards on the ground.

Dunn didn’t let his nerves before his first game get in the way of having fun.

“I was so nervous before the game,” Dunn said. “But right after the first play, it was the most fun I had had playing football.”