Boys basketball takes down division-leading RM in 2OT

Junior+Kieran+Kindig+prepares+for+jump+ball+at+the+start+of+double+overtime.+The+Vikings+got+this+biggest+win+of+the+season+Wednesday+after+taking+down+Richard+Montgomery+66-65+in+double+overtime.+Photo+by+Sophia+Knappertz.+
Junior Kieran Kindig prepares for jump ball at the start of double overtime. The Vikings got this biggest win of the season Wednesday after taking down Richard Montgomery 66-65 in double overtime. Photo by Sophia Knappertz.

[score id=”48345″ align=”right”]

The boys basketball team defeated division-leading Richard Montgomery 66-65 in double overtime on Wednesday night, improving their record to 11-8 on the season.

The Vikings led 20-16 going into the half, playing a 3-2 zone on defense to stymie the Rockets’ potent perimeter players.

“We played good defense throughout the game,” small forward Shaq Diboti-Lobe said. “We kept battling and got the results we wanted.”

Diboti-Lobe led the team with 39 points and 4 rebounds, including a game-winning shot with just 2.3 seconds left to play.

After a back-and-forth final quarter, Diboti-Lobe made two free throws to tie the game at 49 with 5.7 seconds left in regulation.

The overtime was fairly evenly matched, with both teams holding the lead during the period.

“Our defense stepped up in overtime,” point guard Jack McClelland said. “We locked down and got important stops and make the offense come to us.”

With 12 seconds to go in overtime, the game was tied 58-58 after a three from RM was responded with a layup from Diboti-Lobe.

“We pounded down low,” McClelland said. “Once [Diboti-Lobe] got going we realized we need to move the ball on offense and not have Shaq just go one-on-one.”

The Vikes staved off the Rockets’ attack in double overtime, culminating in the Diboti-Lobe game-winner.

After a win over the 16-3 Rockets, the Vikes now prepare to play the Heights this Friday at 7.