Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Wrestling wins Keaser Classic

The wrestling team won the Keaser Classic tournament at North County high school this weekend, besting 11 other schools during the tournament before routing Arundel by 41 points in the final.

Apart from the team tournament, the Vikes dominated individually with every entered wrestler placing top 6 in their weight class. 126 lb Andrew Shiman and 145lb Mitch Fenton both went undefeated and placed first individually.

Despite forfeiting the 113lb weight category due to an injury to freshman Clark Boinis, the Vikings had a dominant tournament run securing their position as a top contender in the region.

After graduating a majority of their starting lineup from last year, the team hasn’t broken stride, now being led by a variety of young talents who are sure to lead the program for years to come.

According to head coach Derek Manon, their performance in the tournament was key to putting Whitman back on the map.

“It definitely proves that we have reloaded and will be in the mix for a spot in the region duals,” he said.

Captain Evan Smith says that the win has given the team even more confidence moving forward in the season.

“It shows us that we can compete with, and beat anyone,” he said.

The win gives the Vikings momentum going into one of their biggest matches of the season, this Tuesday against Churchill. Churchill is another wrestling powerhouse in the county and has fallen to Whitman the last two years.

“Churchill will be another tough test. [They’re] certainly not a team we can look past,” he said.