Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Girls soccer defeats Churchill in penalties, 1-1 (4-1)

whitman vgs v churchill 11.1.13 -1044
The girls soccer team celebrates after a victory in penalty kicks. Photo by Adam Prill.

The 13-1-1 girls soccer team outlasted the 12-4-1 Churchill Bulldogs through a 1-1 tie in regulation and 20 minutes of overtime until finally winning in penalty kicks, 4-1.

Goalie Erin McClanahan had two huge saves during the PKs to give the Vikes control.

The Vikes scored on their first four shots and clinched the game on a goal by forward Clare Severe.

The first goal of the game came early on a direct kick by midfielder Aliza Wolfe who sent the ball into the upper left corner of the goal and past the frozen Bulldog goalie.

Churchill then tied the game with eight minutes left in the first half after a Churchill player beat the defense and took a strong shot from the right side that flew right past the outstretched hands of McClanahan.

The rest of the game remained scoreless until the Vikes took over in PKs and the crowd stormed the field in celebration.

The Vikes will face the Wootton Patriots in the regional finals, Tues. Nov. 5 at 5 pm at Paint Branch High School.