Baseball drops game to B-CC 5-3 in extra innings

The Vikings dropped to the 8-1 B-CC Barons 5-3 in nine innings April 13, lowering the team’s record to 7-2 and snapping a seven-game win streak.

Juniors OFs Max Steinhorn and Drew Aherne lead a steady scoring attack in the first inning. Steinhorn lead off with a double, stole third, and Aherne hit him in with an RBI double. Aherne finished 3-5 with two doubles and a single.

Junior Max Sessions belted a solo homerun over the right field wall to extend the Vikes’ lead to 2-0 in the fourth inning. Sessions would finish 1-3 and was hit by a pitch.

The Vikes struggled fielding the ball cleanly throughout the game. The Barons scored two unearned runs in the fifth due to three consecutive Viking errors to tie the game at two.

The Vikings added another run in the sixth, with Dan Duffy knocking in Patrick Hisle after a sacrifice bunt from Andew Castagnetti. But the Vikings were unable to score another run off of junior Joe Feldman, who pitched a complete game for the Barons.

With the game tied at three, the bases loaded, two out and a favorable 3-0 count, 3B Andrew Castagnetti looked down as the ball whizzed passed home plate. Viking fans erupted in disbelief after the pitch was ruled a strike. The senior captain would eventually lineout to end the offensive threat and send the game into extra innings.

After 8 1/3 stellar innings of pitching from senior Gabe Steinberg, Feldman singled in the eventual winning run with two outs off of reliever Alex Cladohous. The Barons would add another run off of an error to extend their lead to 5-3.

The Vikes will look to rebound at Richard Montgomery April 15.