Wrestling crushes Gaithersburg, but suffers first loss to Damascus at tri-meet

The wrestling team followed up its highest-scoring victory of the season with an even more lopsided 70–12 win over the Gaithersburg Trojans Tuesday.

As per usual, the team opened the meet with a string of pins, this time from 182lb Ezra Alexander, 195lb John Luke Iglesias and 220lb Jacob Winch.

The Vikings did not allow any points until the seventh match, and responded with pins from 132lb James Mackall and 138lb James Bamberger.

Mackall said that despite the unexpected break due to last week’s snow, the wrestlers made sure to be prepared for the match-up.

“We have all been dedicating the time and energy to putting in the work necessary to stay in top condition,” he said.

The performance propelled the Vikes to a stellar 9–0, continuing the team’s longest winning streak since 2014.

However, the Vikings’ undefeated season came to an end on Wednesday at their tri-meet against the Damascus Hornets and Wootton Patriots.

While the Vikes easily handled the Patriots in a 50–21 blowout, the team fell 58–15 to the top-ranked Hornets.

Against the Patriots, consecutive wins came from the heart of the Viking lineup: 145lb Hamoon Shokoohinia, 152lb Mitch Fenton, 160lb Braedan McKee, 170lb Marcos Solloso and Alexander secured a win for the Vikes.

The Hornets, on the other hand, proved why they’re considered the state’s top team, holding the Vikings to one victory in the first 10 matches.

Only two Vikes—Mitch Fenton and Jacob Winch—won their matches and 106lb Chris Habibian won by forfeit.

Despite the team loss, Winch’s win was an impressive upset, as he toppled the 3rd ranked wrestler in the county at his weight class.

In what could be their final regular season meet, the Vikings will look to bounce back when they host B-CC and Walter Johnson at 2:30 Saturday.