Boys basketball defeats rival B-CC 45–34, avenging loss earlier in season

[score id=”48108″ align=”right”]
The boys basketball team stayed hot Wednesday evening with a 45–34 victory over rival B-CC, extending Whitman’s win streak to four games.

The Vikings and Barons were neck-and-neck from the start. Neither team held a lead greater than one possession for any of the first half.

“We knew it would be a close game going in,” forward Sam Kapner said. “Every time we’ve played B-CC it’s been really close.”

The Vikes last met B-CC in December. In that game B-CC came away with a win late in the final quarter.

Going into this game, the Vikings were worried about the Barons’ aggressive offense, but were able to hold them to only 34 points.

“We ran a 3–2 defense because they have a lot of threats and were worried our man-to-man defense wouldn’t be able to keep up,” Kapner said, “but our 3–2 did the job.”

The Barons played the Vikings close all the way into the fourth quarter, when B-CC began getting into foul trouble.

“We started to pull away in the fourth quarter when B-CC’s 6’10” forward, Tyjhai Byers, fouled out,” Kapner said. “Our lead grew even larger after their leading scorer, Kevin Holston, also fouled out.”

Without Byers guarding the rim, the Vikes were able to control the rebounds and extend their lead late in the fourth quarter.

This victory improves the Vikings’ record to 8–7; they now prepare to face the Einstein Titans next Monday.

“This is our fourth win in a row now,” Kapner said. “This streak is really important at this point in the season, and if we can extend it into the playoffs, then you’re going to see us at states. But for now our focus is on our next game against Einstein on Monday.”