Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Girls basketball defeats Good Counsel 56-51

After coming back from a 14-point deficit, the girls basketball team defeated the host Good Counsel Falcons 56-51 in Friday’s season opener.

Vikings guard Abby Meyers scored a team-high 18 points, followed by forward Hannah Niles, who scored 13 points. Guard and captain Nicole Fleck also added 11 points, including three three-pointers and two clutch free-throws down the stretch.

“Last night against Good Counsel was a true test of our team,” Niles said. “We had been preparing for that game since our season ended last year and we went into it with our minds completely focused on getting a win, and that’s what we did.”

The first play of the game resulted in a technical foul on the Vikings after a miscommunication about the players’ numbers. This put the Falcons up by two early in the contest.

The balance of the game was back and forth, with both teams playing very physically. The Vikings, who lost to the Falcons in last year’s season opener, trailed by three at halftime and were down by 14 points in the third quarter.

Niles then entered the game, driving to the basket, scoring seven consecutive points. Forward Marie Hatch drew a charge late in the forth quarter, and Fleck’s two pressure-packed free throws with 13.7 seconds left sealed the Vikings’ victory.

“We bounced off each other’s energy to catch up, and stayed really composed late in the game to pull away with a win against a very good private school team,” Niles said. “This win proves our true potential and gives us a lot of confidence heading into the rest of the season.”

The girls look to improve to 2-0 when they travel to face the Rockville Rams on Tuesday.