Girls basketball looks to rebound after early playoff exit

The girls basketball team is on a fast break to victory, after posting a 21-3 record that included an unprecedented 20-game winning streak last year. However, its playoff run ended surprisingly early after being upset by the Kennedy Cavaliers in the sectional finals.

The Lady Vikings are back on the court, looking to extend their 2013 regular season success and bounce back from postseason disappointment. Under the leadership of captains Nicole Fleck, Annabelle Leahy, and Alison Poffley, the team is focused on winning a state championship.

“We return a veteran group and are loaded with talent,” coach Peter Kenah said. “The players are incredibly committed and are super competitive. It’s going to be a fun year.”

The girls have been playing together in an AAU league and in tournaments across America since last April, helping the team develop chemistry, Poffley said.

“I love the girls on this team like sisters,” she said. “Not only do the tournaments allow us to improve on the court but it let’s us spend so much time together. I think this time helps us a lot in terms of the dynamic of the team during the winter season.”

Poffley believes it’s beneficial to have their tournament games filmed, receiving immediate feedback from coaches.

“The summer is a time to learn how the team runs in the season and it helps us set relationships with coaches and teammates,” she said. “It also means that you know your teammates’ next move because you’ve been playing together for so long. Instead of having two weeks to adjust at the beginning of the season we have two months of experience coming into the season.”

The team lost five seniors from last year, including forward Avery Witt and guards Maddie and Marissa Cannon. Kenah said rotation players, who didn’t experience considerable playing time in 2013, will step into bigger roles to compensate for the senior losses.

Guard Fleck and forward Marie Hatch are the only two returning starters on the team. Hatch led the team with 9.3 points per game and Fleck hit a team-high 40 three-pointers last year. Last season’s lead reserve, guard Abby Meyers, averaged 8.4 points per game and will come into a starting role this winter.

Hatch said the girls are modifying their game plan this year to play to their strengths. Kenah is expected to employ more of a pressing defense to complement half court, man-to-man coverage.

“We lost a lot of height and defensive players from last year,” Hatch said. “To make up for those losses, we are going to play a faster game, so bigger teams will struggle against us.”

A new face on the Lady Vikings sideline is assistant coach Tyler Wilkinson, who has coached JV girls soccer the past two years and was the assistant coach for the state champion varsity girls soccer team.

“Coach Wilkinson brings a relentless positive energy to the team,” Kenah said. “He allows us to incorporate strength and recovery training to our program. [Wilkinson is] also a great role model for the girls.”

The Lady Vikings have high expectations this season and hope to advance deep into the postseason, Hatch said.

“I’m excited just to play basketball and have fun doing it,” she said. “I except a great playoff run and would love to be state champions.”

The girls start the season on Dec. 5 when they travel to face the Good Counsel Falcons.