Whitman Reacts: Wootton High School student arrested for planning school shooting

Girls basketball defeats Kennedy, 56-40

The Lady Vikes defeated the 16-3 Kennedy Cavaliers, 56-4o, on senior night to win their eighteenth straight game and improve their record to 19-3 on the season.Freshman Abby Meyers had another explosive performance, scoring 19 points on three three-pointers and five field goals.

Meyers started off the season slow, but ever since the team’s win against Richard Montgomery on Jan. 8 the young star has been scoring in double digits consistently.

Guard Nicole Fleck, and forwards Marie Hatch and Hannah Niles each scored nine-points to contribute to Meyers’ 19.

The game was close throughout its entirety up until the fourth quarter when the Vikes’ late game defense kicked in and allowed the Cavaliers to score just two points.

The younger players on the team rallied to win the game for the seniors.

“We were determined to create a really special atmosphere on senior night,” Niles said.  “It was a true team effort and what made the night even more special was all the fans that came to support us.”

The Vikings are now ranked eleventh in the Washington Post All-Met standings and look like one of the heavy favorites to make a run at the state championship with a 10-0 conference record.

The team will end their regular season this coming Tuesday against a weak 2-16 Northwood and look to win their nineteenth straight game and head into the playoffs with some major momentum.