Boys basketball defeats B-CC, 58-39

Senior Adam Joel looks for an open man to send a pass to. Photo courtesy Nick Anderson.

The boys basketball team got its defense back on track, holding the B-CC Barons to 39 points en route to a 58-39 win, Feb. 11.

After a sloppy start which gave many extra chances to the Barons’ offense, the Vikes stepped up their defense in the second quarter, outscoring B-CC 22-11 and taking a commanding 37-24 lead into the half.

The third quarter was then a defensive battle with both teams combining for only 11 points and. The Vikes were then able to control the fourth quarter, something the team hasn’t been able to do as of late.

The Vikings, who allowed 28 and 32 points respectively in their past two games in the fourth quarter, held the Barons to only 11 and easily secured their 19 point victory.

“We did let up despite getting a lead and kept our intensity up,” guard Baldwin Murgi said. “We packed in our players and didn’t extend far out beyond the three point line, making it difficult for them to get into the paint.”

The defense also allowed only one player to score ten points and committed just three shooting fouls, holding the Barons to 3-6 from the line.

The boys were once again led by guard Kyle Depollar, who had his third straight 20 point game, scoring 21 points. Center Josh Fried was also able to do damage on the post, putting up 16 points and controlling the boards.

With a loss by the Blair Blazers, the Vikes now sit just one game back in the division which sets up a big rematch, Feb. 18 at home against the Blazers.

The Vikings now travel to Richard Montgomery, Feb. 14, to take on the 10-8 Rockets.