Boys basketball defeats Poolesville, 53-48

Senior Adam Joel successfully dodges an opponent in yesterday’s game against Poolesville. Whitman won 53-48. Photo by Abby Cutler.
Senior Adam Joel successfully dodges an opponent in yesterday’s game against Poolesville. Whitman won 53-48. Photo by Nick Anderson.

The boys basketball team pulled out a close win against the Poolesville Falcons, Jan. 28, by winning 53-48 to improve its record to 12-3.

The team started off slow, not hitting many shots in the first quarter and falling behind 13-10 early but exploded in the second, scoring a season high 23 points and jumping out to a big 33-21 lead at the half.

The second quarter started off with an 11-0 Viking run and held the Falcons to only eight points all quarter with three of them coming on a buzzer beater three pointer to end the half.

“Basketball is a game of runs,” forward Adam Lowet said. “We hit a few shots and forced some turnovers and before long we took control.”

Guard Alex Lesley also provided a spark in the quarter, coming off the bench and knocking down a three and going 5-6 from the line to follow his 12 point performance against Quince Orchard with another eight points.

The Falcons battled back, however, and cut the Viking lead to seven after the third quarter and brought the game to within three points late in the fourth quarter.

After cutting the lead to 45-42, the Falcons called a timeout with less than two minutes remaining. However, following the timeout, guard Max Steinhorn grabbed a quick steal which led to an easy layup to put the team up 47-42.

After extending the lead to 50-42, the Falcons were able to hit two quick threes, one from very far out to again cut the Viking lead to 51-48.

The lead was too much for Poolesville to overcome, however, and after a clutch free-throw by center Josh Fried that put the Vikes up by four, the game was over.

Fried led the team in scoring for the second straight game with 14 points with Steinhorn right behind him and getting back on track by scoring 13 of his own.

Both teams were missing some key components with the Vikings missing their leading scorer Kyle Depollar due to illness. The Falcons missed Anthony Papagjika due to an injury, who last year excelled against the Vikes, scoring a game-high 23 points and hitting six three-pointers.

The team will now return to division play at home against Churchill, Tues. Feb. 4, and Fri. Feb. 7 on the road at Walter Johnson.