Football defeats Springbrook, 28-13

After a full day off from school, the football team trounced Springbrook 28-13—improving Whitman’s record to 4-3 and dropping Springbrook’s record to 4-3 as well.

Whitman scored all of its points before Springbrook scored any. By the end of the first half, Whitman had already put the game away.

Running back Zac Morton started Whitman’s scoring with a rushing touchdown in the first quarter.

Morton was the star of the show, running for three of Whitman’s four touchdowns. Morton’s stat line for the game was 25 carries for 104 yards.

Morton also played an active role in the other two aspects of the game. On special teams, his punts put the Blue Devils in weak field position, and he helped on defense by intercepting a pass too.

Morton’s interception set up one of the Vikes’ touchdowns in the second quarter. Quarterback Evan Smith completed a 30-yard pass to wide receiver Nolan Hanessian.

The win against Springbrook was very important for the Vikings.

“It sets us up in a good position to make the playoffs,” Smith said.

The Vikings have two of their three remaining regular season games, Walter Johnson and Churchill, against division rivals. It’s going to be an important stretch.

“We want to embarrass our crosstown rivals and retain the crown of kings of Bethesda,” Smith said.

The Vikings play Walter Johnson next Friday in the homecoming game as the Vikings continue their chase to make the playoffs.

Photo by Chris Hanessian.