Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

MLB Recap: How did the Nationals and Orioles finish?

The ineptness of Washington area sports teams has been a joke around the sports world for years. So why is this a story now? What makes me feel so much worse this year?

Last year during the Olympics, a study conducted by the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology revealed bronze medalists during the Olympics are generally happier than the ones with the silver around their necks. The Journal reached this conclusion by analyzing photos and post-event interviews.

When I first heard this, I immediately brushed it aside as ridiculous. Obviously the person who finished better feels better—right?

After living as a D.C. sports fan this year, I think I understand.  When reflecting on a season, emotions are based on a balance between expectations and results. How far are we from where we could have been?

The Orioles’ and Nationals’ past seasons are perfect examples of how virtually identical records can elicit drastically different reactions from fanbases

So with that, let’s look at the expectations for the respective teams.

The Washington Nationals

We may as well start at the top. At the end of the 2012 regular season, the Nationals were the toast of the major leagues. They had more wins—98—than any other team; their run differential also led the majors. It was the first time the Nationals had ever made the playoffs, and everyone had their eyes on a World Series victory.

Then, Drew Storen happened. During the all-important NLDS game five against the St. Louis Cardinals, he blew a ninth inning lead, ending their season.

It was the most successful season D.C. had seen since the Senators, but fans were still unhappy.

Even with the early playoff loss, all signs indicated the Nats would only improve for the 2013 season.

For one thing, Stephen Strasburg, arguably the most talented pitcher in the league, would pitch unrestricted and presumably in the playoffs for the first time. Bryce Harper, who analysts believe has the potential to become the most talented hitter in the league, was expected to make a huge jump during his second year.

Additionally in free agency,  the most complete team in baseball became even more complete.

First, Washington traded for Denard Span, one of the best leadoff hitters in the game. Then they added Rafael Soriano, a very reliable closer.  Additionally, they signed Dan Haren, who made the best rotation in baseball even better.

The Nats’ core group of stars, coupled with a productive offseason had only one result—astronomical expectations.

It wasn’t really a question of whether the Nats would win their division, but by how much. During the offseason, manager Davey Johnson declared “World Series or bust.” Sports Illustrated picked the Nats to win it all; they also picked Strasburg and Harper to win the Cy Young and MVP awards respectively.

The Baltimore Orioles

While the Orioles also made the playoffs during the 2012 season, the Orioles entered 2013 with drastically different expectations.

Many analysts—and statistics—suggested that the Orioles’ success during the 2012 season were based off a lot of luck and good mojo.

The nature of extra inning and one run games means that most teams win about the same number of these games as they lose. The Orioles, however, were 16-2 in extra innings and 29-9 in one run games.

The Orioles also did not make any major moves during the offseason.

Both of these factors along with a drastically improved AL East suggested the Orioles were going to regress during 2013. Sports Illustrated picked the Orioles to finish fourth in the AL East with 11 fewer wins than the year before.

So what happened during 2013?

The Nationals finished 86-76 and the Orioles finished 85-77 but it’s pretty clear why Nationals fans are noticeably less happy than Orioles fans.

There’s a saying: the bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Well, the Nationals were pretty big.

They didn’t pitch as well, they certainly didn’t hit as well—generally two pretty large problems.

Although I haven’t polled the masses (I haven’t even polled a small group), I think it’s fair to say that the second most successful season in Nationals history was not successful at all. The Nats took our hope, threw it on the ground, doused it with gasoline and lit it on fire.

Oriole fans are the bronze medalists, happy that their team stayed in the playoff hunt all year and hopeful for improvement next season. Nats fans on the other side feel betrayed and disappointed with a silver medal around their necks.