Girls tennis falls to Churchill, 4-3

The girls tennis team suffered a heartbreaking, tension-filled match against the Churchill Bulldogs, 4-3. The Vikes’ record drops to 8-2 while Churchill’s improves to 9-1.

Whitman’s doubles teams played well, making up two of Whitman’s three wins. Juniors Emilia Malachowski and Maggie McGowan won an exciting three set match, dominating the deciding third set, 6-0.

Second doubles team Miranda and Emily Tompkins also played well, winning their match 7-5, 6-1.

Senior Kamilla Beisenova, the Vikes’ top single player, won as well with a comfortable 6-1, 6-3 score. Beisenova bounced back after her only loss of the season last week against Wootton.

The Vikes were very close to winning any one of the four matches they lost. There was at least one set in each losing match where the Vikes won four or more games. This gives the Vikes hope for when they face off against the other top teams in the county championships.

“Everyone fought really hard but we didn’t quite pull it out,” singles player Nicole Welch said. “We’ll beat them in counties.”

The Vikes hope to end their season on a high note against Northwood and Paint Branch this Thursday and next Monday respectively. Counties start the week after.