English teacher Omari James surprised with teaching excellence award

English teacher Omari James won the Dr. Alain LeRoy Locke Award for exceptional teaching and service with a surprise visit to his class by the presenters and colleagues June 7.

Two Phi Delta Sigma fraternity members presented English teacher Omari James with
Two Phi Beta Sigma fraternity members presented English teacher Omari James with the Dr. Alain LeRoy Locke Award Tuesday during class. Photo by Valerie Myers.

According to the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity website, the annual award recognizes male, African-American educators in MCPS who demonstrate numerous academic accomplishments, leadership skills and a dedication to serving the community, regardless of whether or not they were members of the fraternity. The award, presented by Phi Beta Sigma, is named after the first African-American Rhodes scholar and their fellow fraternity brother.

Phi Beta Sigma especially values academic achievement. When presenting James with the award, President C.C. “Corky” Conyers stressed the fraternity’s three principles: brotherhood, scholarship and service.

Conyers went on to explain that James in particular exemplifies scholarship, something they admired in his nomination.

To be nominated, a candidate’s colleagues must send in applications and recommendations. Six teachers were nominated for the award this year, but James was the only teacher to win the award, along with the $100 prize and plaque accompanying it.

Two current members of the fraternity surprised James with the award during his 5th period AP Lang class. Principal Alan Goodwin and English Resource teacher Linda Leslie, who nominated James for the award, were among his colleagues also present.

“At first, security came in and I thought one of my students had done something,” James said. “Then I saw Dr. Goodwin walk in and some other people and found out that I had won an award.”

This February, Leslie filled out the application for James without telling him, she said.

Phi Beta Sigma chose James based upon Mrs. Leslie’s application outlining his various accomplishments as a teacher.

Leslie didn’t remember what she wrote on James’ recommendation verbatim, but she did mention his stellar job interview, she said.

“It was a remarkable moment,” Leslie said. “We were doing the formal interview questions and he got really engaged in explanations. He jumped up and took a piece of chalk and started drawing out a lesson.”

Leslie wasn’t surprised when she heard he won, she said.

“He brings an enormous amount of passion and flawless intellectual work to the classroom,” Leslie said. “He is 100 percent available for the students and for his colleagues and that really stands out.”

James, on the other hand, said he was shocked.

“I’ve heard of the award but it never occurred to me that it would become so familiar,” James said. “I was stunned, speechless. I had absolutely no idea this was happening.”

After the fraternity presented James with the award, some of James’ AP Lang students spoke about his teaching.

“Not only is he a great teacher, but also a great person who really cares about his students and wants us to do well,” junior Olivia Doran said. “It’s also clear that he really loves teaching, which makes his class so engaging and just a great environment.”

To James, the award was a validation of all the hard work and effort he has put in this year, he said.

“I cried a little,” James said. “It hit me really hard. I’ve been trying to be a good teacher and now it means something.”