MCPS working on new snow day waiver after state denies first request

A snow storm in late January dumped over two feet of snow across Montgomery County, cancelling five days of school. Photo by Elsa Bjornlund.

Interim Superintendent Larry Bowers is considering reapplying for a two day snow waiver following the state’s recent rejection of the previous submission.

Incoming Superintendent Jack Smith has tentatively added two more days to the MCPS schedule, moving the last day of school from June 17 to June 21. Prince George’s county was waived from the extension of the year because they converted Feb. 12, a professional day, into a regular school day.

MCPS’ request was denied because it did not modify the school calendar to allocate for lost instructional time, according to letters exchanged between the county and State Superintendent’s office.

“We are exploring our options on how to push forward,” MCPS Director of Public Information Derek Turner said. “We don’t have a final decision yet.”

MCPS’ options include adding two days to the end of the year, resubmitting the original waiver requesting school to release on June 17 as an appeal, or re-submitting a revised version requesting only one day be added to the end of the year.

“Usually partial or full waivers have been granted if we make an adjustment somehow, such as cancelling a professional day. I definitely think we should appeal,” principal Alan Goodwin said. “It was an extraordinary snow storm and even the State declared a state of emergency for one of the days.”

Both Goodwin and Bowers urge that Smith take the cost of the make-up days into consideration, which Bowers estimated could cost MCPS $750,000 more for the schools to be open than on regular days.

“Prince George’s received a two day waiver and now they go 178 days,” Turner said. “We are hoping we will be treated the same. If we choose to resubmit, it will be done by this week.”