Senior Carolyn Hoover wins LLS volunteerism award

While the decision to participate in Every 15 Minutes will educate students on drunk driving, it also took funding away from and overlapped with the planning of LLS Month, thus putting Whitman’s title of “top fundraising school across the nation” in jeopardy. This inspired senior class president Carolyn Hoover to participate in the LLS Student of the Year fundraising campaign in order to compensate for the difference.

“I know LLS really depends on us because we are the top school by a couple thousand,” Hoover said. “I didn’t want them to suffer a loss because of that decision.”

Hoover, along with 14 other teams of students were given six weeks to raise the most money they could. They started fundraising Jan. 14 and completed the campaign Feb. 27. Hoover raised $45,000 of over $590,000 in total.

After raising funds for LLS over a six-week period, Carolyn Hoover won the LLS gala volunteerism award by NBC7 Meteorologist Eileen Whelan. Photo courtesy of Anna Longworth.
After raising funds for LLS over a six-week period, Carolyn Hoover won the LLS gala volunteerism award, presented here by NBC7 Meteorologist Eileen Whelan. Photo courtesy of Anna Longworth.

The money raised will benefit cancer research in the National Capital Area which includes Washington D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

“I know the money will go towards finding a cure and improving the lives of patients and their families,” Hoover said. “Cancer affects everyone, so this way we’ll have an impact on many people’s lives.”

Because Hoover is also in charge of Whitman’s LLS month, she had to search for alternative methods to raise money outside of the Whitman community. She organized a series of fundraising events at restaurants and jewelry stores such as Kendra Scott and Alex and Ani.

She had a meeting, event or speech almost every day during the six-week period and contacted people through mail, email and phone calls. The highest donors were corporations, notably Mattress Warehouse, and local law firms.

As the campaign came to a close, LLS hosted The LLS Student of the Year Campaign Grand Finale Gala at the Marriott Feb. 27 to celebrate the money raised and the impact the funds will have on those affected by leukemia and lymphoma.

Senior Adam Seltzer,along with 10 other Whitman students, attended the event in support of Carolyn.

“The aesthetic was really colorful and classy,” Seltzer said. “Overall there was energy of pride and happiness.”

During the event, LLS rewarded students for their hard work by presenting one team with the title of 2016 Student of the Year. This year’s winner was Joe Vermillion from Gonzaga College High School, who raised over $100,000.

Certain teams were also recognized for Citizenship Awards that included exceptional work in volunteerism, community involvement, and mission focus.

Although Hoover didn’t win the overall Student of the Year award, she was awarded the Volunteerism award for her superior work in the community.

Special Events Director Kelly Kent thought Hoover was deserving of the award because of her efforts to raise money, plan events and spread awareness for LLS.

“She has a ‘can-do’ attitude and truly goes above and beyond for our organization and our mission,” Kent said. “Overall, she organized 13 events during the campaign–truly amazing!”

Seltzer also praised Hoover’s remarkable accomplishment.

“It’s inspiring and honestly mind-blowing that someone my age can accomplish so much, especially for something as important as LLS,” Seltzer said.

Because LLS Month has been extended for two more weeks, Hoover said she will do everything possible to ensure that Whitman claims its title for the third consecutive year.