Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Goodwin’s email about drinking garners national attention

Principal Alan Goodwin received widespread media attention for sending an email urging parents to stop hosting drinking parties. News stations FOX, WTOP and NBC used the words “scathing,” “direct” and “emotional” to describe the email.

The email, which was sent out to the Whitman listserv Nov. 8, was prompted by news of multiple parties with alcohol present.

The email reads:

“Parents, As we get close to another weekend, please do not host an underage drinking party as apparently some of you did last weekend. This must stop. The law says you can be fined a minimum of $2,500/underage drinker if the drinker(s) is at your residence and you are present. While the fine is steep, the stronger risk is that a teenager from your party will be injured or die either from excessive drinking or while in a car with a driver under the influence. Parents, find other ways to bond with your child. Please.”

While this is not the first time that Goodwin has sent emails warning the dangers of teenage drinking, none of his emails have ever drawn recognition this widespread before.

“I didn’t realize my words were going to be so strongly received,” Goodwin said. “But I’m glad it was received strongly.”

Parents and teachers from across Montgomery County, and from states across the nation, have praised Goodwin’s response. The email also received attention from local news stations.

“I think they were intrigued that a principal was taking a stand so vocally and openly like that,” Goodwin said. “I don’t know why they’d be surprised at that, but I guess they just haven’t heard that before.”

The media also connected Goodwin’s email to the recent release of charges in the Wootton case, where two Wootton students died in a drunk driving accident, despite Goodwin not mentioning Wootton in his original email.

“I think there is a lot of anxiety among parents because they’re worried about their teenagers and worried that other parents are putting their teenagers at risk by throwing these drinking parties,” Goodwin said.

The fear that their child will be hurt while drinking is one of the reasons parents host drinking parties in the first place, Goodwin said.

Goodwin hopes that his email will help to persuade parents to stop hosting parties where they serve alcohol.

“I was irritated that parents are still making those mistakes,” Goodwin said. “I just want students to stay safe.”