Field hockey loses in OT to undefeated Churchill 2–1

The field hockey team lost 2–1 against the undefeated Churchill Bulldogs Monday afternoon, dropping to 4–2 on the season.

Forward Ellie Gill pushes the ball up to the offensive zone, looking to give her team the lead. Gill scored the Vikings' lone goal in the 2–1 loss. Photo courtesy Mike Lenkin.
Forward Ellie Gill pushes the ball up to the offensive zone, looking to give her team the lead. Gill scored the Vikings’ lone goal in the 2–1 loss. Photo courtesy Mike Lenkin.

The game experienced its most intense action at the end of the first half.

With eight minutes left in the half, forward Ellie Gill scored a goal for the second consecutive game with a long shot following a clearance by forward Elsa Bjornlund.

“I scored with a slightly lifted shot on the top of the circle, which is the furthest out you can score from,” Gill said.

The Bulldogs notched it back up quickly, scoring with three minutes to go in the half.  Both teams’ defense remained strong in the second half, and they kept the game at a 1–1 deadlock at the end of regulation.

The Vikes then found themselves in a familiar situation, playing in their second straight overtime game—still feeling the effects of last Friday’s win over RM.

However, this game yielded a different result, as the Bulldogs tallied the game-winning goal just 45 seconds into overtime.

Even though they lost, the Vikes still took some positives out of a hard-fought game against a formidable opponent.

“We had great defensive clears, as well as transitions up the field,” Gill said.

The Vikes host the Einstein Titans Thursday at 7:15.