Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Girls tennis takes down Wootton 4–3

[score id=”45952″ align=”right”]

In a two-day event, the Vikes beat the Wootton Patriots 4–3 Saturday morning to improve their record to an impressive 5–0.

Some of the team’s key contributors faced tough competition Friday afternoon. First singles player Carina Greenberg lost 4–6, 2–6 to state champion Miranda Deng, and second singles player Sarinah Wahl was downed 3–6, 3–6, both suffering their first loss of the year.

But the team was able to withstand these losses. They responded with clutch wins from third singles player Olivia Myers and fourth singles player Emily Meyers. Second doubles combo Miranda Tompkins and Mizuki Hanada also picked up a big victory, winning in three sets.

With one match still remaining, the overall match was tied 3–3. Third doubles combo Emily Zitner and Brooke McLeod had split the first two sets 3–6, 6–4, when their game was pushed to Saturday morning due to the sunset.

unnamed-7
Second singles player Sarinah Wahl loads up and gets ready to crush a serve during a crucial moment in her game. Photo courtesy Catherine Matthews.

“Brooke and I were kind of annoyed that we had to stop, because we had the momentum and the power in the match because we had just won the second set,” Zitner said.

Zitner and McLeod then picked up from where they left off on Saturday morning, winning the third set 6–4 and to secure a Vikes victory.

The win marked the team’s first victory over Wootton since 2011.

“Wootton has great players and usually get first in the county,” Zitner said. “It was extremely exciting for us to finally beat them.”

The Vikes play away against the Blair Blazers Monday at 3:30.