NFL Season Preview

With the NFL season around the corner, some of the Black & White’s editors predict who will surprise and succeed this season.

Josh Feder

Sleeper Team: Houston Texans

The Houston Texans have some obvious weaknesses, mainly the ongoing struggle to find a quarterback. Brian Hoyer is far from a franchise QB, but with Arian Foster set to return soon the offense should be far from the worst in the league, let alone their division, which drops off substantially after the Colts. You can never count out a team with Jadaveon Clowney and JJ Watt on the defensive line. Clowney had a disappointing rookie year bogged down by injury, but both him and Watt playing 100 percent is a scary thought. You can count on the defense to give the Texans’ second-tier offense tons of opportunities to get on the scoreboard.

Player to Watch: Le’veon Bell

Le’veon Bell is starting the season two weeks late after violations of the league’s substance abuse policy. However, once he is back he will join an impressive offensive group headlined by QB Ben Roethlisberger and WRs Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant. While he will probably be splitting some carries with DeAngelo Williams, he’s still one of the top backs in the NFL, rushing for 1,361 yards and 8 TDs in 2014. Unlike other top runners like Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster, Bell adds a strong presence to the passing game to compliment his success on the ground. If the Steelers can overcome their poor defense this year, it will be on the legs of Le’veon Bell.

Super Bowl Pick: Seahawks over Colts

The Seahawks look like they are starting to assemble a dynasty. They have a solid QB in Russell Wilson, a franchise RB in Marshawn Lynch, and now the best TE in the league with the signing of Jimmy Graham. In addition to that offense that has as much potential as any in the league, the infamous defense will still be a top squad. They lost CB Byron Maxwell and may be losing SS Kam Chancellor, but still have a lockdown secondary led by CB Richard Sherman and FS Earl Thomas.

The Colts are an all-around solid team that should have an easy time making the playoffs in their weak division. QB Andrew Luck has proven to be one of the best in the business, and the addition of RB Frank Gore will be a great compliment to the offense. The defense is nothing to write home about, but as long as they manage to stop any absurd runaways like against the Patriots in the playoffs last year, the offense should have what it takes to finally return to the Super Bowl.

Caleb Friedman

Sleeper Team: San Diego Chargers

The Chargers always seem to sneak into the playoffs, but once they’re in, they always make some noise. With RB Melvin Gordon, San Diego’s first round pick out of Wisconsin, the Charger offense should be more balanced and take some pressure off of QB Philip Rivers. Look out for another Charger named Melvin, though: LB Melvin Ingram, a fourth-year pro out of South Carolina. He has lit it up this preseason and should give the Chargers the explosive edge rusher that they need to pair with their secondary playmakers Eric Weddle and Brandon Flowers. They may not win the AFC West, but look for the Chargers to win a wildcard spot and make a run in the playoffs.

Player to Watch: Devante Parker

A first round rookie receiver who missed much of the preseason due to injury—sounds familiar, right? I’m not saying Devante Parker is Odell Beckham Jr., but if any rookie is to have a breakout year, Parker is in the best position to succeed. With a serviceable QB in Ryan Tannehill and Kenny Stills commanding more of the defense’s attention on the opposite side of the field, Parker is in a position to produce from day one. Parker does carry serious injury concerns from his days at Louisville, but when he has gotten on the field, he has done nothing but make plays. In six games last season, Parker had 855 yards and five TDs. Under the tutelage of veteran Greg Jennings, Parker will grow as the season progresses, and he could be the offensive playmaker that pushes the Dolphins over the hump in the difficult AFC East.

Super Bowl Pick: Seahawks over Patriots

This result could have happened in last year’s Super Bowl if a certain someone got the ball at the one yard line in the waning seconds, ahem, BEAST MODE. I think the Seahawks, with TE Jimmy Graham, can ride Lynch back to Super Bowl Sunday. For the Pats, it’s all about two guys: Brady and Belichick. With #12 back, the Pats’ chances of getting home field advantage in the playoffs go up exponentially, with gives them a decisive advantage in the postseason. Although the Patriots lost Vince Wilfork, Darrelle Revis and Brandon Browner in the offseason, second year players Dominique Easley (DE) and Super Bowl hero Malcolm Butler (CB) will have the opportunity to become every down players. I think that the Patriots can withstand the losses of Revis and Browner well enough to navigate the AFC, but once they face Seattle, the Pats won’t be able to shut down both Lynch and QB Russell Wilson.

If the Steelers are going to go far they will need to rely on star RB Le'veon Bell, sports managing editor Josh Feder says. Photo by Caleb Friedman.
If the Steelers are going to go far they will need to rely on star RB Le’veon Bell, editor Josh Feder says. Photo by Caleb Friedman.

Arya Hodjat

Sleeper Team: Miami Dolphins

While they may not be ready yet to dethrone the Patriots as kings of the AFC East, the Dolphins figure to at least get over the hump and make a playoff run this year. They made a splash (okay, sorry, bad joke) this offseason with the signing of DT Ndamukong Suh, joining Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon to improve an already dangerous front seven. A revamped receiver corps featuring additions like first-rounder DeVante Parker, Greg Jennings, Kenny Stills and Jordan Cameron should give quarterback Ryan Tannehill all the weapons he needs to improve on (or at least repeat) his breakout 2014 campaign, where he put up 4,000 yards and 29 TDs. If this new-look ‘Phins team does end up making the postseason, they’re as tough of an out as anybody.

Player to Watch: Aaron Donald

Donald was statistically one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL last year, putting up nine sacks for the Rams and earning himself a Pro Bowl berth—as a rookie. Now with a year under his belt, the reigning Defensive Rookie of the Year can only figure to improve. Playing alongside guys like Robert Quinn and Chris Long on a stacked St. Louis defensive line will free up more one-on-one matchups for him against hapless offensive linemen, and the signing of Nick Fairley ensures that Donald can rotate in and out of games more freely, keeping him fresh for passing downs. He’s not exactly at J.J. Watt level of dominance yet, but don’t be surprised if he comes close.

Super Bowl Pick: Packers over Ravens

Both of these teams gave the eventual champions of their respective conferences hell in last year’s playoffs, with both teams ultimately falling short due to miraculous comebacks. This year, they will both get over the hump. The Packers are obviously weakened by the loss of Jordy Nelson to injury, but with the emergence of sophomore wideout DaVante Adams and the return of James Jones, they won’t miss a beat on offense. That’s all they need to get past the Seahawks, who haven’t done much to improve their terrible offensive line, while cracks have appeared in the vaunted Legion of Boom with the departure of Byron Maxwell (and Kam Chancellor?) Meanwhile, the Ravens always seem to play at their best in the postseason, and the addition of Marc Trestman as offensive coordinator will only make an already potent offense more dangerous. Their defense, which suffered a multitude of injuries last season, is back and fully healthy, with a frontline of Elvis Dumervil and Terrell Suggs looking to terrorize quarterbacks for another year. Ultimately, however, the sheer firepower of Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay would overpower the intimidating defense of B-more in a potential showdown.

Ben Katz

Sleeper Team: Miami Dolphins

With the best defensive line and an up-and-coming NFL star, the Dolphins are ready to heat up Miami—but really, how much hotter can Florida get?—and AFC East competition. After signing defensive monster Ndamukong Suh during the summer, Miami will have the league’s most explosive four-man forefront in the league, with Suh, Cameron Wake, Olivier Vernon and Earl Mitchell ready to pounce on opposing quarterbacks (I’m looking at you, Tom Brady). There’s also been talk about quarterback Ryan Tannehill being an elite quarterback in the NFL, after throwing for 4,045 yards and 27 touchdowns in 2014. If Tannehill maintains his dominance over to this season and controls his accuracy on the long ball, and the dominant defensive force lives up to the hype, the Dolphins will quickly become the team to beat.

Player to Watch: Travis Kelce

For fantasy football players over the past three years, a prime tight end selection would be Rob Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham. But this year, a new name has surfaced among the top of the list in Travis Kelce. After unexpectedly posting 67 receptions with 862 yards and five touchdowns in 2014, the third-year tight end has the potential to be this year’s breakout star. Now that former Chiefs primary tight end Anthony Fasano left for the Titans, it’s time for Kelce to shine and become a key offensive player. Alongside wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, Kelce will be one of quarterback Alex Smith’s top targets and the 6-foot-5, 260-pounder will be able to showcase his pure athleticism.

Super Bowl Pick: Packers over Colts

This is the tenth year Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has played under Mike McCarthy, and he wants to get his coach an anniversary. What should he get? How about a second Super Bowl ring? Although a season-ending ACL injury to star wide-out Jordy Nelson conjures questions about whether the Pack can contend with the likes of the Seahawks, their supporting offensive cast and Rodgers’ superstardom will make a perfect Super Bowl team. With tight end Richard Rodgers, wide receivers DaVante Adams, Randall Cobb and newly acquired James Jones, Rodgers enjoys a multitude of touchdown threats. Adding to the power is a backfield highlighted by Eddie Lacy, who has emerged as one of the league’s best rushers. Quarterback Andrew Luck will lead the Colts to the Super Bowl with the help of running back Frank Gore and wide receivers T.Y. Hilton and Andre Johnson; however, the Rodgers-McCarthy duo will be unstoppable and bring the Lombardi Trophy back to Green Bay.

Trevor Lystad

Sleeper Team: Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings have a tough road ahead of them, and while I don’t see them taking down the Aaron Rodgers-led Green Bay Packers, don’t be surprised if coach Mike Zimmer’s squad sneaks into the playoffs with a wild card spot. The Vikings scratched out a 7–9 record without star running back Adrian Peterson last year, and a healthy AP should make a huge difference for them offensively. Pair him with quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (who I predict will make a huge sophomore season leap), and Minnesota should have a much-improved offense this season. The defense certainly has a few question marks, but a strong secondary highlighted by young defensive backs Xavier Rhodes and Harrison Smith will help propel the Vikings into a wild card spot.

Player to Watch: Jadeveon Clowney

From a pure entertainment standpoint, any human being who can do this is someone you should be watching in all possible instances. Clowney is nothing short of a physical freak of nature: he’s 6-foot-6, 267 lbs, and runs a 4.53 40-yard dash, which is faster than some starting running backs. After going number one in the 2014 draft, Clowney struggled and was shut down due to injury after just four games in his rookie campaign, and he is more than ready to bounce back and prove he was worth the top pick. With star JJ Watt getting both media and offensive line attention on the other side of Houston’s d-line, expect Clowney to rack up double-digit sacks—and a few more highlight reel plays like he did in college.

Super Bowl Pick: Packers over Colts

The old adage says that “defense wins championships,” but in today’s NFL, trusting the star quarterbacks is usually a safe bet. Although the Packers are having some injury woes at wide receiver, the offense will do just fine. They have (arguably) the best quarterback in the NFL in Aaron Rodgers, and a top-5 running back in Eddie Lacy. No other team has that kind of two-headed offensive attack, except maybe the Steelers. The Colts hopes ride on the arm of Andrew Luck, but he only looks like he’ll improve with another year of experience and new weapons in Andre Johnson and Frank Gore. The defense isn’t without holes, but it should also improve with the return of 2013 sack leader Robert Mathis, who missed last season with a torn Achilles.

In a Super Bowl that projects to have about a million points, I’m trusting the more experienced Aaron Rodgers to bring home his second ring. Green Bay is out for blood after choking in the final minutes of the NFC Championship game, and the Colts won’t be enough to stop them.