SAT marred by time misprint

A misprint in student test books meant that some students were given an extra five minutes on the SAT June 6.

The sections in question will not be scored, and a third score will be created using an average of a student’s other two sections of the same subject, according to a June 8 College Board press release.

Student test books allotted 25 minutes to a reading or math section, depending on the form, while proctor instructions specified the correct 20-minute time limit.

“It’s hard to believe that [the College Board] could make and print that mistake,” guidance counselor Kenneth Putt said. “It just makes me think, ‘Are they too big, are they trying to do too much that they can’t really keep on top?’”

The issue impacted all students who took the test in the United States. Some proctors, like English teacher Nick Confino, realized the discrepancy and gave students the correct section length. Others, however, did not.

“I’m very upset,” said junior Angie Ames, whose proctor gave her 20 minutes to complete a reading section. “My friend who took it at a different school got the 25 minutes. So it wasn’t a standardized test.”

Scores will still be reliable with one missing section because all sections are of roughly equal difficulty, the College Board said in a press release.

Putt believes that the solution is fair, and many students are relieved that test scores were not completely invalidated. Not everyone is pleased, however.

“It’s still not the same as having a regular test,” Ames said.

The snafu follows allegations of widespread cheating on the SAT in Asia and precedes a major revamping of the test planned for March 2016 in an effort to compete with the ACT.

“This cannot do anything but hurt them in terms of people deciding that maybe the ACT would be the better test to take,” Putt said.