Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

JV standouts find success this spring

Junior varsity sports teams are the foundation for young Whitman athletes, helping them prepare for the intensity and speed of varsity competition. On each team, standout players have proven that they’re ready to play at a higher level. Here are some of this season’s top JV athletes:

Joey Squeri, Baseball—

Squeri, a freshman, is a multitalented player: he played both pitcher and first baseman this past season. The freshman’s versatile play contributed to the team’s stellar 9–3 record.

“Joey’s a great hitter who provides a lot of stability to our lineup,” pitcher Daniel Strauss said. “He’s also a strong pitcher and throws a lots of strikes.”

Squeri’s numbers reflected his success on the field. He had a .576 batting average on the season, and claimed a 1.69 ERA through 21.1 innings pitched.

And beyond his successes, Squeri genuinely enjoys the experience of playing high school baseball.

“Just being able to represent my school by doing something I love is my favorite part of Whitman baseball,” Squeri said.

Griffen Kreutzburg, Boys Lacrosse—

Kreutzburg, a sophomore captain, was a brutal force for opposing goalies to handle.

Kreutzburg started the season off with a bang, scoring six goals and adding five assists in his first five games. His skills on offense helped the team to four wins this season.

“He’s a great shooter and helped lead our attack,” midfielder Liam Pearce said.

Even though Kreutzburg was a top goal scorer on the team, his teammates believe one of his biggest strengths was his teamwork.

“He was a great leader in the sense that he helped set up plays or finish plays, and he’d always keep the team morale up,” midfielder Ferzam Mohammad said.

Caroline Triay, Girls Lacrosse—

Triay had a strong season, as she was able to take advantage of her numerous scoring opportunities. Her play led the team and propelled JV lacrosse to a 7–2 record.

Triay was patient on offense, rarely rushing any scoring opportunity.

“She is great at working the ball around on attack and not forcing it into the goal,” midfielder Emma Cohen-Dumani said.

Triay believes her main threat is her stick handling, which has helped keep the opposing defenders constantly on their heels.

“Since I’ve been playing for many years, my stick skills are strong, which helps me a lot during games and practices,” she said.

Laura May, Softball—

Sophomore catcher Laura May was a leader on and off the field of play for the 8–4 JV softball team this year.

Her ability to keep team morale up and prevail in clutch situations kept the team in each game, third baseman Jenna York said.

“Laura’s great personality helped bring chemistry to the team and allowed us to work better together as whole,” York said. “She was great at her position and always knew what to do.”

May noted that she’s not only strong with her glove and bat, but also able to concentrate throughout stressful moments.

“I can stay optimistic and keep my head in the game even in terrible situations,” May said. “I can still execute plays even when there’s lots of pressure.”