Houlihan withdraws from superintendent search

Houlihan, who was announced the Boards preferred candidate to become the next superintendent, withdrew his name from contention Sunday
Houlihan, who was announced the Board’s preferred candidate to become the next superintendent, withdrew his name from contention Sunday

MCPS Board President Patricia O’Neill announced the withdrawal of preferred candidate Andrew Houlihan from the search to find MCPS’s new superintendent today.

“Dr. Andrew Houlihan informed the Montgomery County Board of Education that he is withdrawing from consideration as superintendent of MCPS,” O’Neill stated on MCPS’ website.

Three days ago, Houlihan was announced as the favored candidate for the position.

“The Board feels that Dr. Houlihan has the combination of experience, passion and personality to serve MCPS,” O’Neill said last Thursday.

However, though Houlihan did not explain his reasons, it didn’t seem that he agreed with O’Neill’s statement.

“He didn’t believe it was a good match for both sides, and so he withdrew,” O’Neill said, explaining that such appointments must be a marriage between the candidate and the district.

Regardless, O’Neill stands by her prior support of Houlihan.

“I’m disappointed,” she said. “I thought we had someone for us who would be a good superintendent.”

Larry Bowers, current interim superintendent, is scheduled to retire from his position June 30, pressuring the board to appoint a new superintendent by July 1.