Boys tennis cruises by WJ in 6–1 win

[score id=”44138″ align=”right”]
The boys tennis team trounced the Walter Johnson Wildcats 6–1 Tuesday, improving their record to 7–1 on the year.

The Vikes won many of their matches in straight sets, as the team carried a high confidence throughout all their matches.

First singles player Jack Welch won his match 6–1, 6–3, continuing his dominant performance this season. Number one doubles combo Oscar Levine and Jon Chen also won their match in straight sets, beating their opponents 6–3, 6–3.

Even though the whole team had strong performances on Tuesday, number four singles player Matt Yang had perhaps the biggest and most intense win of the day.

Third doubles player Mauricio Gottret prepares to return a hit with a forehand.  Photo by Michelle Jarcho
Third doubles player Mauricio Gottret prepares to return a hit with a forehand. Photo by Michelle Jarcho

Yang lost the first set 3–6, and then fell behind 0–5 in the second set. However, after that, Yang came storming back winning 13 straight games, and winning his match 3–6, 7–5, 6–0.

“When I was down 0–5 in the second set, I told myself ‘I shouldn’t lose to this kid,’” Yang said. “That helped me regain my momentum and win the match.”

The only loss came from third doubles combo Mauricio Gottret and Will Caudron in a close three-set match.

The team will play an away game on Thursday against the Springbrook Blue Devils, as they look to improve their record to 8–1.