Boys volleyball stuns Springbrook 3–0

Tennis edged out 4–3, losing to Churchill for the first time in two years

[score id=”43863″ align=”right”]
It came down to the final match, but the boys tennis team suffered their first loss Wednesday, falling 4–3 to the Churchill Bulldogs.

The Vikes entered the match shorthanded, with freshman second singles player Andrew Leung sidelined due to an ankle injury suffered earlier in the day. Fortunately, it is not a serious injury, and he expects to return in the next match.

Freshman Liam Rotzell filled in Leung’s spot, and managed to clinch a win. Sophomore first singles player Jack Welch also continued his dominant season, gritting out a 7–5, 7–6 victory.

First singles player Jack Welch goes up for his serve. Despite the teams loss, he beat his opponent in two sets. Photo by Michelle Jarcho
First singles player Jack Welch goes up for his serve. Despite the team’s loss, he beat his opponent in two sets. Photo by Michelle Jarcho

After quality wins from Rotzell and Welch, Whitman tied up the score 3–3 with one match still remaining. However, first doubles team Jonathan Chen and Oscar Levine could not outlast Churchill’s first doubles squad, losing the third set of their match 6–4.

It was certainly a low point for the season, but the team hopes to learn a valuable lesson from it.

“We learned that every match counts and that you have to be able to expect anything,” Welch said.

The team is now 4–1 on the season, with the match marking their first loss in almost two years.

The Vikes will look to rebound as they play at home against the rival B-CC Barons tomorrow.