Boys lacrosse downed by rival Churchill 12-3

[score id=”43791″ align=”right”]
The boys lacrosse team was dealt a tough 12–3 loss Monday evening by the Churchill Bulldogs. The Vikings, now 5–3 overall, couldn’t handle the Bulldogs’ aggressive offense.

Coach Tommy Rothert refocuses and energizes the Boys Lacrosse team at halftime. Photo by Luke Graves
Coach Tommy Rothert refocuses and energizes the boys lacrosse team at halftime. Photo by Luke Graves

The Viking offense was no match for the Bulldog’s aggressive play, as the Vikes had only seven shots on target compared to the Bulldogs’ 32.

Churchill’s offense was lead by attacker and team captain Louis Dubick, who found the goal three times on the night and added six assists.

The pace was set by the end of the first quarter with Churchill having possession for the bulk of the quarter and leading 3–1.

The Bulldogs’ persistent attacks took a toll on the Vikings defense, according to goalkeeper Colin Hains. “We played a lot of defense, and our defense got really tired,” he said. “We didn’t have the ball possessed on offense a lot, so our defense couldn’t get a rest.”

Hains had a solid performance, with 20 saves and an impressive 63% save percentage.

According to Hains, in order for the Vikes to be more competitive against better opponents, the team needs to work on improving scoring opportunities with higher percentage shots.

The Vikes look to get back on a winning streak against B-CC on Thursday.

Story updated April 14 at 11.02 p.m.