Track and Field revamps program, divides into two teams

Sprinting, hurdling, and jumping are all common events that roughly a hundred track and field players participated in at daily practices, until recently.

Coach Stephen Hays decided that the track and field team would be divided into an A and B team with the hope of improving productivity at practices. The A team will continue practicing everyday, while the B team only has to agree to a two-day per week practice commitment.

“We just had too many people come out for the team, many of whom are not really interested in being on the team,” Hays said. “It’s difficult to have a productive practice when half the kids are really just looking to put something on their college resume.”

Since the revamping of the program, both the staff and players have noticed a difference at practice.

“It’s hard to hide during practice now. Before kids would show up and then leave early and not finish practice,” Hays said. “The kids that really care about the team and want to be successful get to have a productive and focused practice. The kids that don’t really want to be on the team, but only want to tell colleges that they participated in athletics don’t have to make the commitment.”

Student athletes have also noticed an improvement at practices.

“We haven’t had that many practices, but it’s fine. It is just a way smaller group and people on the B team still run separately on the days that they do not have track,” junior Dorothy Neher said.

Other students agree with Neher’s viewpoint on the changes made to the team.

“Practice has been much more structured because we practice at different times so there are less people,” junior Kate DeCastro said. “Also, there are more opportunities for Hays to give tips and suggestions for improving.”

This change for the team has improved the focus and determination at practice, and Coach Hays stands by his decision for these reasons.

“Some of the athletes on the ‘B’ Team do not seem to be able to make even a two-practice a week commitment,” Hays said. “The alternative would be to have cuts which is something we may consider in the future.”