Whitman app in the works

Too busy talking to their friends, students rarely hear the morning announcements and miss important information. This problem could be solved if all of this information was available at the tip of your finger. Yes, that’s right…Whitman may get its own app by the end of this year.

The app will be available for download from Google Play and iTunes. Potential features include a calendar, a photo gallery, upcoming events, and words of advice from principal Alan Goodwin.

The Vikings mascot or Whitman’s signature blue “W” are among possible icons for the app.

Goodwin, a supporter of the app, thinks it would provide a better method of relaying information than PA announcements, Twitter and Whitnet, the e-mail service run by the PTSA. Goodwin could send push notifications to users’ phones through the app, alerting users of important information such as sporting events, dine-outs and and emergency situations.

Goodwin noted that some students don’t listen to the announcements and that Whitnet is directed at parents.

Although Goodwin has 1,413 followers on Twitter, he knows that many community members don’t have Twitters or choose not to follow him.

“I tweet, but not all kids follow me,” he said.

Senior Louise Amat said she thinks that the app will be a convenient way of communicating information.

“It would help students hear about events and deadlines if they missed a morning announcement,” she said. “Also, some people don’t have a Twitter.”

Fusional Apps, a company devoted to creating affordable apps for smaller businesses, would create the app. Fusional Apps president Robin Owens-Wright started the company nine months ago.

“I started this because I’m a complete tech geek,” she said.

Owens-Wright believes that a mobile app is a useful tool for small businesses and schools, since the information can be easily transmitted and shared in an inexpensive way.

While payment and pricing for the app has yet to be confirmed, Fusional Apps works to achieve the lowest prices possible by using app templates that are already designed.

As a result, the app doesn’t take long to create—building the app takes roughly a week. Once the app is built, it will be put on Google Play immediately and iTunes in 7-10 days. After that, the app will undergo testing to make sure it runs smoothly and push notifications work.

Amat is looking forward to the release of the app, and said she believes that many other students would concur.

“Students will definitely download the app,” she said.