Girls basketball advances to sectional finals with 45-30 win over B-CC

[score id=”42888″ align=”right”]After earning a bye in the first round of the playoffs and then over a week off because of snow cancellations, the girls basketball continued their winning ways, beating the rival Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons 45-30 Wednesday on the road to states.

Guard Abby Meyers rises up over a defender to score two of her game-high 17 points in the Vikings' win over B-CC. Photo by Michelle Jarcho.
Guard Abby Meyers rises up over a defender to score two of her game-high 17 points in the Vikings’ win over B-CC. Photo by Michelle Jarcho.

“I think this game was tougher than the last time we played B-CC because every team brings a lot more effort and energy during playoffs,” guard Jenna Hosker said. “We went into the game confident and brought a lot of energy.”

Guard Abby Meyers scored a game-high 17 points, followed by guard Hannah Niles and forward Betsy Knox with 8 points apiece.

The Vikes had a slow offensive start, missing multiple breakaway layups and manageable jumpers, but their defense, one of their strengths all season, kept the Barons scoreless until the final minute of the first quarter. At the end of one, the Vikings led 10-2.

“It was tough at the beginning to get into the flow of the game since we hadn’t practiced for a while because of the cancellations,” Hosker said. “But after a few minutes, we took control of the tempo and shared the ball well.”

The second quarter was a seesaw battle, with the teams exchanging baskets and solid defensive plays. The Lady Vikes still had the upper hand at the half, leading 21-14.

The start of the second half was the same story as the first, with the Vikings dominating their opponents, but not always being able to capitalize on their defensive efforts. The Vikings outscored their opponents 13-6 in the third and went on an 8-0 run in the fourth to stretch their lead to 22 points at one point in the final stanza.

Guard Hannah Niles is helped up by her teammates after scoring while getting fouled. Niles went on to score eight points in the game. Photo by Michelle Jarcho.

The girls look to win to the sectional finals when they host the tough Walter Johnson Wildcats tomorrow night.

“It will definitely be a challenge going forward,” Hosker said. “But I have faith in our team and I believe we can do big things if we work together, which is what we do best.”