Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Boys and girls basketball build momentum for playoffs

After finishing the regular season Mon., the boys and girls basketball teams are preparing to begin their 2015 playoff campaigns.

Junior Shaq Diboti-Lobe and senior Riley Shaver led all scorers for the boys this year, averaging 14.5 and 14.2 points, respectively. Senior Anton Casey also made a large contribution, averaging nine points and eight rebounds a game. The team finished the regular season 12-10.

At the beginning of the regular season, the boys had trouble handling defensive pressure, especially late in games. Turnovers in the second half caused the boys to give up leads and eventually lose games. Fortunately, the team has been able to correct that problem and has limited the turnovers as of late.

Guard Riley Shaver drives down the lane in the Vikes' loss to B-CC. Shaver had 10 points on the night. Photo by Jonah Rosen.
Guard Riley Shaver drives down the lane in the Vikes’ loss to B-CC. Shaver had 10 points on the night. Photo by Jonah Rosen.

“We’re a young team, but through the season we’ve gained experience and now we think we’re where we need to be,” senior Baldwin Mugri said.

The boys take on Churchill this Saturday at 2 at home. The boys cruised past Churchill in their first regular season meeting, beating them 58-41. In their second matchup of the regular season, the boys beat Churchill 47-46.

If the team advances, they will likely face BCC, who defeated them twice in the regular season. The Vikes were close in both games, leading by 10 in the fourth quarter in the first game. A win against BCC in the second round would be sweet revenge for the boys, Mugri said.

The girls team, on the other hand, is heading into the playoffs as the clear favorite to come out of the section, with a perfect 20-0 record. The girls earned the number one seed in the 4A west section one and bye in the first round.

Sophomore Abby Meyers, who consistently scores in the double figures, has been the main option on offense. However, the team prides itself on its cohesiveness and getting everyone involved.

Forward and senior captain Alison Poffley drives to the hoop to score two of her six points in the Viking's win over RM. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Forward and senior captain Alison Poffley drives to the hoop to score two of her six points in the Viking’s win over RM. Photo by Nick Anderson.

“It has really helped to have great chemistry and whenever we needed it, someone has stepped up and got us through any rough patches,” senior Alison Poffley said.

The coaching staff has been instrumental in the girls’ success this season, from scouting other teams to organizing a practice squad of boys, Poffley said.

Strong defense was also a large factor contributing to the girls’ success. The lady Vikes were able to hold many teams to below their average numbers.

The girls begin their quest for the state title Mon. at 7 p.m. when they take on the winner of BCC vs. Blair.