Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits
The evolution of tipping culture

The evolution of tipping culture

Girls basketball continues hot streak with decisive wins over Blair and Kennedy

The girls basketball team ended this week with a bang, crushing the Blair Blazers 67-35 Thursday and the Kennedy Cavaliers 91-23 Friday, improving to a perfect 19-0 record.

Thursday’s game for the Vikes displayed absolute dominance over the 7-12 Blazers in an important Montgomery County 4A South match up.

“Blair was a nice win for us because we felt pretty good about our performance,” forward Marie Hatch said. “We came out really strong to start and set the tone for the remainder of the game.”

Guard Abby Meyers scored a game-high 15 points, followed by Hatch with 11 and guard Hannah Niles with 10. Guard Nicole Fleck added nine points on three three-pointers.

The Vikes started the game firing on all cylinders, outscoring the Blazers 21-4 in the first quarter and reaching a 41-15 lead at the half.

The Blazers managed to outscore the Vikings 15-9 in the third quarter, but it didn’t phase the undefeated powerhouse, who then outscored their opponents by 12 points in the fourth.

“We had a rough patch in the third quarter, but we bounced back and finished on a great note,” Hatch said.

The next day, the Vikings faced the 4-12 Cavaliers, a team that shockingly knocked them out of the playoffs early last year. The Vikes were determined to get revenge for last year’s loss, and that’s exactly what they did.

In the game, the Vikings had five players reach double digit points. Meyers tied her season-high with 30 points, including five three-pointers, while Niles added 16, and forward Samantha Magliato had 12. Fleck and Hatch each contributed 11 and 10, respectively.

“We really played well as a team and did a great job sharing the ball and getting everybody involved,” Niles said. “We had a lot of intensity and we shot extremely well from the field, as well as from the free throw line.”

The Vikes didn’t seem to miss in the first half, outscoring their opponent 59-12 at the break. The team cooled down in the second half, but controlled the Cavaliers on both sides of the ball, outscoring them 32-11. An impressive 15-16 from the free throw line contributed to the win.

“We all had smiles on our faces during the game because it was such a great atmosphere to be a part of and we were able to score 91 points,” Niles said. “We are definitely already looking towards the playoffs because we have high goals for them. We are excited to continue our momentum and use our confidence as we face tougher teams during the playoffs.”

The girls look to gain even more momentum going into the playoffs when they host the 5-16 Northwood Gladiators Monday in their last regular season game.