Boys basketball defeats WJ and Churchill

The boys basketball team notched two big wins this week, defeating Walter Johnson 57-41 and Churchill 47-46, improving to 9-7 overall.

Against WJ, the Vikes overwhelmed the Wildcats with their size, and controlled the paint throughout the game.

The game was fairly even throughout the first half, as the Vikings held a 14-10 lead after the first quarter, and a 25-19 lead at halftime.

Like they have in almost every game this season, the Vikes stormed out of locker room to dominate the third quarter. With renewed energy, the Vikes turned to offensive boards to create easy baskets.

The Vikes outscored the Wildcats 20-12 in the third quarter, and never looked back.

“We did a great job of getting the ball into the post and crashing the glass, which eventually led to kick outs for open shots,” said center Max Oppenheim, who scored a career-high 13 points.

Oppenheim also added eight rebounds and three steals, while Guard Riley Shaver matched him with 13 points. Guard Justin Kay led the team with five assists.

The Vikes then squared off with rival Churchill in their second divisional test in as many days.

The Vikings defeated the bulldogs 58-41 earlier this season, but the game would be much tighter this time around.

The Bulldogs game plan was to slow the game down, and it worked early on. The Bulldogs held the ball until they found the right shot, which helped them hold a 23-21 lead at halftime.

Again, the Vikings were rejuvenated for the second half, where they came out firing on all cylinders. After taking a lead midway through the third quarter, the teams went back-and-forth, with each team making big shot after big shot.

Late in the fourth quarter the Bulldogs took a 46-45 lead. With under 30 seconds to play, the Vikes had the ball, needing a score.

Like they had all game long, the Vikings got the ball inside. With 15 seconds remaining, center Oppenheim received the ball in the paint, and drew a foul.

He knocked down two clutch free throws, giving the Vikings a huge win.

“Down the stretch we really relied on our defense to get us the win. We locked down and didn’t allow any easy baskets,” Oppenheim said.

Shaver stuffed the stat sheet for Vikes, finishing with 15 points, three rebounds, two assists, two blocks, and two steals.

Center Anton Casey had 11 points and eight rebounds, and guard Hannes Koglenik scored nine points.

The Vikes have a rematch with Walter Johnson this Friday at home, where they will look to extend their winning streak to four.

“These wins are important for us mentally, because we’ve been able to overcome difficulties on both ends of the floor, and pull out two key wins,” Oppenheim said. “We’re looking forward to making a deep playoff run.”