Girls basketball rolls over Poolesville 59-28

The girls basketball team crushed the 8-4 Poolesville Falcons 59-28 Wednesday, extending their win streak to an impressive 12 games and keeping their undefeated record alive.

Forward Samantha Magliato drives to the basket against a Falcon defender. Magliato scored nine points in the win. Photo by Nick Anderson.

Forward Marie Hatch led the Vikings with a game-high 11 points, followed by guard Abby Meyers and forward Samantha Magliato with 10 and nine respectively. The scoring attack spread across the entire team with nine of the 10 players putting points on the board.

“It was a great game and a lot of credit goes out to Poolesville,” said guard Jenna Hosker, who scored four points. “They have great work ethic and played through the whole game. This was one of the teams that we scouted, so we knew their strengths going into the game, which was helpful.

Coming out firing on all cylinders, the Vikings outscored the Falcons 12-5 in the first quarter and dominated on both sides of the ball. They then went on an 8-0 run in the first 1:12 of the second quarter toward a commanding 36-15 lead at halftime.

The girls continued to pile on the points in the second half, displaying their cohesiveness as a team.

“I thought that we really played well together,” Hosker said. “Our motto … is ‘Together’ to remind us to play as a team and I thought that we really showed our team chemistry.”

The Vikings will be put to the test next week when they face the tough 11-2 Walter Johnson Wildcats Monday and Thursday and the 11-3 Churchill Bulldogs Tuesday.