Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Girls basketball defeats Paint Branch 61-51

Revenge tastes so sweet, especially for the girls basketball team.

After losing by one point to the Paint Branch Panthers in a summer league game, the host Vikings knocked off their now 11-1 rival 61-51 Tuesday to become the sole undefeated team in the county with 10 wins.

Guard Abby Meyers drives to the basket to score two of her game-high 28 points in Tuesday's 61-51 win over Paint Branch. Photo by Nick Anderson.
Guard Abby Meyers drives to the basket to score two of her game-high 28 points in Tuesday’s 61-51 win over Paint Branch. Photo by Nick Anderson.

“We all played incredibly well tonight,” guard Abby Meyers said. “It feels awesome to beat a huge rival in basketball.”

Meyers scored a game-high 28 points, including 11 in the fourth quarter and spectacular highlights throughout the contest. Guard Hannah Niles contributed 10 points in the win and forward Betsy Knox scored all seven of her points in the second half.

The Vikings started slowly, trailing 11-4 early in the first quarter, but went on a 9-3 run thanks to two three-pointers by guard Nicole Fleck to bring the Panthers’ lead to one point.

The second quarter was a different story, as the Vikings dominated on both sides of the ball. In the first two minutes, Meyers converted a no-look reverse layup, whipping the home fans into a frenzy. The Vikings led 29-26 at halftime, thanks to Niles’ six points during the quarter and going 4-4 from the foul line.

The seesaw battle between the two undefeated teams ensued with a 6-0 Vikings run early in the third quarter, putting them ahead 41-36 entering the final stanza. With 5:16 remaining, the Panthers gained momentum and took a 45-43 lead, only to be quickly dissolved by a Meyers three-pointer.

At the 3:40 mark, Meyers showed her phenomenal athletic strength when she came from out of bounds, flipped over a Panther player’s back, and completed a behind-the-back pass to forward Samantha Magliato for an easy layup gave and a 49-47 Vikings lead. Less than 30 seconds later, forward Marie Hatch lobbed an inbound pass to Meyers who, in the air, caught the ball and scored, stretching the lead to four.

Knox’s two free throws with 52.5 seconds left in the game extended the Vikings’ lead to a three-possession game, sealing the deal and bringing the fans to their feet and applause for the Vikings’ valiant play.

The girls look to maintain their county dominance when they travel to face the Quince Orchard Cougars Friday.