Girls basketball beats rival Churchill 61-42

The girls basketball team defeated rival Churchill Bulldogs 61-42 Friday night, lifting its record to 6-0 this season.

Forward Betsy Knox led the Vikings’ balanced scoring with 14 points, shooting 4-4 from the free throw line. Forward Marie Hatch had 13 points, while guard Abby Meyers and forward Alison Poffley each contributed 10 points.

Forward Betsy Knox plays tight defense in Friday's win over Churchill. Knox scored a team-high 14 points. Photo courtesy Tom Knox.
Forward Betsy Knox plays tight defense in Friday’s win over Churchill. Knox scored a team-high 14 points. Photo courtesy Tom Knox.

“I think at first we were a little nervous coming out because it was our last game before break, we had a big crowd, and Churchill is a big rival,” Knox said. “But as soon as we settled down and started playing together, we expanded the lead and played well.”

After roaring to a 12-8 lead, the Vikings dominated the second quarter, outscoring the Bulldogs 20-9 for a 15-point advantage at the half. A well-played second half with minimal mistakes solidified the win for the Vikings, winner of its last six games.

Bulldogs guard Japria Karim-Duvall led all scorers with 17 points, including 10-11 shooting from the free throw line.

Although the Vikings were victorious, there is still room for improvement, Knox said.

“I think we need to work on coming out at the beginning of the game and hitting some shots and not relinquish the lead we create at the beginning,” she said. “We did a really good job last night at playing team defense and shutting down the starters, but we still have to work on guarding without fouling.”

The team’s next game is Jan. 6 when they travel to face the 4-1 Bethesda-Chevy Chase Barons.