Boys lacrosse falls to Sherwood 12–9
Girls lacrosse suffers first loss of the season to Sherwood 16–11

Students, teachers fondly remember Ryan Lucas

Freshman Ryan Lucas passed away Friday, Dec. 12, 2014. He took the wrong medication and had an adverse reaction, principal Alan Goodwin said in a staff meeting yesterday morning.

Outside the main office, a card was hung so students could write kind notes about Lucas. Photo by Jordan Schnitzer.

Lucas had touched students and teachers alike with his acute passion for learning. He expressed an interest in languages, particularly Korean, and was taking lessons to learn how to play the bass.

“He was very, very intelligent and bright,” resource teacher Rachel Maturana said. “Although he was only a freshman, he had a great understanding and a very wise soul. He was my student, but also someone I could carry on a mature conversation with.”

Maturana and Lucas talked about different books he read and current events they saw on the news. She described Lucas as tolerant and kind toward others; he was able to get along with almost anyone.

“He was so calm and easy to talk to,” freshman Katie Redd said. “He was a great friend.”

Lucas was an avid reader, and he finished J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in second grade. He loved Manga and animé and wrote creatively.

Freshman James Krauland, a good friend of Lucas, remembers sharing opinions on books and shows with Lucas throughout middle school. They had similar interests both inside of school and out.

Goodwin made an announcement and sent a letter and email home today about Lucas’ death and its impact on the community. A support team of psychologists, counselors and pupil personnel workers from MCPS joined Whitman’s staff to provide counseling and support to students.

Many students were shocked and saddened to learn of Lucas’s death. Some took to Facebook to share funny stories and kind words about Lucas.

“Ryan Lucas, a freshman at Whitman who was a very good friend of mine, died on Friday. Rest in peace. I will always remember you sleeping under a desk during math in 8th grade. I’ll miss you bud,” freshman Ethan Hughes posted on Facebook.

“Rest in peace Ryan. I didn’t know you until this year, but you always made science fun with your jokes. You will be greatly missed,” freshman Katie Duffy posted on Facebook.

There will be a viewing at the Collins Funeral Home in Silver Spring on Friday, Dec. 19 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Services will be held on Saturday, Dec. 20 at 11:00 a.m. at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Rockville, Maryland.