Pyle student organizes soccer shootout to fight pancreatic cancer

Last Sunday, Pyle Middle School scored a goal against pancreatic cancer by hosting a soccer shootout, where students and their families tried their skills and supported the cause.

At the shootout, dozens of Pyle students and other community members attempted to get a penalty shot past volunteer goalies. Participants paid by the shot, and the Grill family, who organized the event, matched each donation if the shot went in.

A DJ courtesy of Washington Talent Agency provided music and entertainment, and student volunteers manned a refreshments table that sold drinks and homemade baked goods. Sponsors ranging from Quartermaine Coffee Roasters to Lord and Taylor donated prizes for a raffle.

Freshman Lauren Meyer takes a shot in the pancreatic cancer shoot out last Sunday. Photo courtesy Arielle Grill.

Beyond a community get-together, the event had an altruistic purpose.

“They’re all coming out for one cause, and that’s to fight pancreatic cancer,” Pyle student Coby Kapner said.

Pyle seventh-grader Noah Grill organized the shootout. He decided to raise awareness for pancreatic cancer as his bar mitzvah project after a family friend was diagnosed with the disease.

Many of the participants wore purple, the color of pancreatic cancer awareness, and volunteers from the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network handed out wristbands and fact sheets about the disease. Members of the Whitman boys and girls soccer teams showed up to support the cause and try their hands at shooting and goalkeeping.

The shootout was set up to coincide with National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness month in November, tying it into charity efforts at Whitman and beyond. According to Noah’s mother Arielle Grill, the event raised over $3200 for the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.

“Pancreatic cancer is the most deadly cancer, and a lot of research needs to be done,” Arielle Grill said. “At some point, you will know somebody who will be affected by this disease, so please help now.”

Pancreatic cancer awareness efforts will continue at Whitman with a support day Dec. 5 and a pancake dine-out Dec. 13.