Girls lacrosse outclasses Walter Johnson 11–7 in regional title
Boys lacrosse season comes to a close after losing to Churchill 12–5 in regional finals
Stop indulging in fast fashion and start promoting sustainability
Softball destroys Quince Orchard 16–6 in reigonal semifinals
The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits

Boys soccer runs over Bladensburg in 4-0 rout, advances to state finals

The boys soccer team thrashed the Bladensburg Mustangs 4-0 this evening, punching their ticket to the state finals.

Defender Evan Goldsholle jukes out a Bladensburg defender before scoring the Vikings' fourth goal. Photo by Jonah Rosen.
Defender Evan Goldsholle jukes out a Bladensburg defender before scoring the Vikings’ fourth goal. Photo by Jonah Rosen.

Despite frigid weather conditions, Whitmaniacs and members of the Whitman community were on hand for this memorable game, chanting and supporting their Vikings on their historic run through the playoffs.

The Vikings dominated throughout, with the Mustangs forced to stay on the defensive to stop an onslaught of Viking attackers. It took the Mustangs 31 minutes to record their first shot on goal, showing the Vikings’ lockdown defense and ball control.

Only six minutes into the game, forward Davey Mason beautifully crossed the ball to a wide-open midfielder Aaron Tanenbaum, who knocked the ball past the goal line, giving the Vikings the early 1-0 lead.

Tanenbaum has been a major factor in the Vikings’ playoff run, scoring goals in four of five playoff games.

Six minutes later, the Vikings increased their lead on a miscommunication between Bladensburg’s goalie and defenders. The goalie kicked the ball right into his defenders’ heels, sending the ball right back into their own goal, giving the Vikings a 2-0 advantage at halftime.

The Vikings didn’t ease up during the second half, bursting out of the floodgates with the same intensity as the first half.

The boys soccer team celebrates following their 4-0 defeat over Bladensburg, securing a spot in the state finals. Photo by Jonah Rosen.

Four minutes into the second half, defender Evan Goldsholle’s shot was saved by the Mustangs’ goalkeeper, only to be put into the back of the net by Mason on the rebound, all but putting the game away for the Vikes.

Whitman’s fourth and final goal came at the hands of Goldsholle, assisted by a spectacular slide tackle and cross by Mason.

“[Scoring the goal] felt great,” Goldsholle said. “It’s always amazing to help the team.”

The boys will face the winner of tomorrow’s matchup between the Howard Lions and Chesapeake Cougars in the state finals next week at Loyola University.

“We’re going to prepare by just doing what we’ve been doing all season,” Goldsholle said. “[We’re going to] work hard in practice and just hope to win.”