Girls soccer wins second straight regional title

For the second time as in many years, the girls soccer team is regional champions, beating the Northwest Jaguars 1-0 Nov. 4.

The Vikes took the lead early on a goal from midfielder Clare Severe in just the fifth minute before playing lock down defense and cruising into the state semifinals.  The team will play Eleanor Roosevelt later this week.

The team set the tone early as forward Alyssa Prill drove down the field and ripped a shot that then rebounded to Severe. Severe put it in the back of the net, giving the Vikes their only goal of the game.

That goal, however, proved to be enough for the tough Viking defense.  Lead by defenders Lela Walter and Kate Morrison, the Vikes killed all of the Jaguars scoring opportunities, allowing no shots on goal and giving goalie Erin McClanahan her tenth shutout of the season.

“Our defense has been awesome especially though various injuries which cause some players to move to different positions,” McClanahan said. “It’s also not just our back line but every player’s defensive shape affects the game. Getting the ball back higher up in the field has been a big part of our [offensive] opportunities this season.”

For the rest of the first half, neither team had many scoring chances until Severe took the ball down the left wing before sending her shot wide of the net.  After halftime, however, the Vikes came out firing as forward Emma Anderson had two snipes in the first few minutes but was unable to connect on either.

Although the team had a lot of corners and maintained possession for the majority of the game, their offense lacked some intensity, McClanahan said.

“I think we worked well getting behind their back line with through balls especially because their defensive line is so fast,” she said. “Our possession could’ve been better at times but we still had some decent shots on goal, but we just need more intensity and finishes in our next game.”

As the game came to a close, Northwest put together a few strong scoring chances of their own.  However, they were never able to close the scoring gap.

The victory puts the team just two wins away from capturing back-to-back state titles, and their sixth in school history. After losing a strong core of players last season, McClanahan thinks the team has played better together and is excited for a chance at a second state title.

“This year we’ve worked more as a team than last season and obviously have been very successful,” she said. “I’m so happy to be here and that all of the new players can get to experience it also.”