Teachers attend annual convention during day off

Every year, students look forward to a seemingly random Friday in mid-October when they can sleep in, enjoy the fall weather and catch up on homework. Some teachers, however, have a different agenda.

The Maryland State Education Association (MSEA) held its annual statewide convention in Ocean City Oct. 17. Teachers are encouraged to attend workshops about learning and educating. Students get the day off because an overwhelming number of teachers attend the conference.

“The MSEA holds a convention for all its members to inform them of best practices in the classroom,” MSEA treasurer Bill Fisher said.

MSEA is a teachers union that represents over 70,000 educators and school employees, according to its website. The yearly convention offers dozens of workshops on topics like classroom management, workplace bullying and coping with difficult personalities.

MSEA created an app for Android and iPhone users who attended this weekend’s conference. The schedules and workshops are posted on the app, and people can share pictures and thoughts about the workshops they attended.

“Senator Benson keeps it real!!” one person posted in the app during a lecture with senator Joanne Benson earlier this weekend.

Hundreds of educators posted on the app during the two-day convention. All posts appeared enthusiastic about various topics.

Members of The Maryland State Education Association’s Representative Assembly (RA) voted at the convention to endorse Anthony Brown in the governor race Oct. 18. MSEA stands with Brown on issues like equitable school funding, according to its website.

Brown spoke at the convention for about five minutes. Other speakers included teacher of the year Jodi Zepp and MSEA executive director David Helfman.

Although the convention helps teachers learn valuable classroom skills, many do not attend. It’s not intended to be a relaxation day for teachers, although many treat it as such.

“This is not a day off,” Helfman said in a phone interview. “This is a professional development day.”