Field hockey and girls tennis begin season with new coaches

With the fall sports season beginning to heat up, the girls tennis and field hockey teams are hoping that a revamped coaching staff  will give them the push they need to take their programs to the next level.

Both teams are operating under new head coaches this year. The field hockey team introduces its fourth new coach in four years, with Ally Skiest directing the team this season. The tennis team replaced Jasen Gohn with Patricia Wayerski.

Field Hockey:

Ally Skiest has been coaching field hockey since college and was previously the assistant coach for St. Mary’s College of Maryland. Skiest also brought Maya Herm in as an assistant coach, who has experience coaching development camps and international teams in the Netherlands and Spain.

Although Skiest is not planning to make any major changes to the practice layout, she does hope to change the attitude of the team.

“We’re putting a lot of energy into building good practices, understanding game tactic and an emphasis on team-building exercises,” she said.

Skiest implemented a more rigorous off-season workout plan, including a mix of conditioning drills that were designed to help players stay in shape and improve fundamentals, sophomore Jennah Haque said.

Haque said that this change, although difficult, is important since it improves the stamina of the team.

“The conditioning can be a little rough sometimes but it is an important aspect we did not focus on last year,” she said.

In addition to off-season preparations, the team is starting focused training in hopes to become more offensively centered, improve ball pressure and increase shots on goal.

Since Skiest is the team’s fourth coach in four years, a lack of consistency from year to year and changes in attitude have been challenging, senior captain Katie Sullivan said.

“At the beginning of this season I had no idea what to expect,” she said.

Sullivan is confident, however, that Skiest’s balanced coaching style and college experience will help the team this year.

Tennis:

Patricia Wayerski spent five years coaching girls tennis for the Richard Montgomery Rockets and received the 2008 Coach of the Year award in a division winning season, before resigning due to family obligations.  Similarly to Skiest, Wayerski hopes to raise the competitive atmosphere by changing the format of practices.

“I am emphasizing enjoyment of a tough competition, keeping a positive attitude during the process of becoming stronger tennis players, and being proud of being a part of a highly competitive team,” Wayerski said.

The changes have been an adjustment for the team, with a heightened focus on match play and maintaining a less static roster.  She is confident that this has created a solid line-up for both doubles and singles.

In addition, she hopes that the team’s strong work ethic will allow them to refine their skill sets and strategies as the season goes on.

Junior Miranda Tompkins said that practices under the new coaching have been productive, with a high focus on match play. Tompkins also said that Wayerski will add consistent leadership to the team after a difficult transition for any sports team, from one coach to another.

Wayerski plans to remain as coach after this season and is optimistic on this season’s outlook.

“We have a very strong team,” she said. “All four singles positions are extremely solid, and our doubles teams have great depth. I’m confident that we will fair very well this season.”