One Acts cancelled for second consecutive year

The student-directed One Acts have been canceled for the second year in a row due to time constraints after this year’s numerous Whitman Drama events.

One Acts are short plays performed with few props and costumes as a part of the Festival of the Arts. They are open to all students, with parts given to almost all who audition.

After Talent Show, the music trip and spring break, there was little time to audition and prepare for One Acts. The Drama department decided to call them off even though they have been well-received in years past.

Last year, the plays were cancelled because drama students were preparing to travel to Edinburgh, Scotland during the summer to perform the musical Spring Awakening.

“One Acts give a lot of people who aren’t normally involved a chance to act and perform,” said senior Caroline Duffy, this year’s Whitman Drama producer. “We were all pretty upset that we couldn’t do them this year because we really like doing them.”

One Acts differ from the other large-scale productions since they’re informal and largely student run. Junior Hannah Chenok acted in one of the short plays her freshman year and enjoyed the casual atmosphere.

“They’re really fun because they’re just short, usually comedic skits that are different from some of the heavier material of typical Whitman shows,” she said. “It was an easy way to get involved in theater that wasn’t a huge time commitment.”

The Drama program will most likely bring back One Acts next year due to their popularity, Duffy said.

“I was bummed that they were canceled,” Chenok said. “I would’ve done it both years had they been running.”

Clarification (5/28/14): One Acts were never scheduled and therefore never officially cancelled. However, students expected that they would be continued this year.