The Black & White’s analysis of the Washington Commanders 2024 NFL draft
The Black & White’s top 2024 Met Gala outfits
The evolution of tipping culture
Baseball advances to regional finals after beating Churchill 2–1
The best movies to watch to study for your AP history exam
A guide to the May 14th Primary Elections

Boys lacrosse defeats Sherwood 12-6

After losing five years in a row to the division rival Sherwood Warriors, the Viking’s Lacrosse team came out strong Tuesday with a 12-6 victory.

Whitman secured the victory with a powerful offense, including three players with three or more points, in midfielders Alex Hilsenrath and Byron Kunst, and attackman Richard Miller. The Vikes defense also had a solid outing allowing only two points in the first three quarters and a clutch performance by goalie Colin Hains.

Whitman led the entire game, starting with a goal from Alex Hosker under five minutes before the opening whistle. The Vikes never looked back, striking again in the first quarter when Miller picked up a missed shot by Hilsenrath and put it back for another goal. The Vikings opened up the floodgates in the second quarter scoring twice in the first five minutes and again with five minutes left in the quarter.

Solid defensive play also aided the Vikings. The pressure zone defense which they have been running all year has been crucial in securing their 6-5 record. Despite the defensive scheme breaking down in their losses against Churchill and Wooton, head coach Mike Ricucci decided to stick with the strategy. “We came into the game with the same game plan tonight, and our kids executed it.” Ricucci said.

Despite a four point rally by Sherwood midway through the fourth quarter, Whitman was able to stall the opposing offense again, largely thanks to Hains, who had a series of clutch saves throughout the night and even an assist as he abandoned his goal and pushed up field.

Whitman’s next game is away at Walter Johnson Friday night. The Vikes hope to secure their next few games to set up a successful run in the playoffs.