Senior Zac Morton commits to play football at Maryland

footballchurchill
Senior Zac Morton runs the ball on a carry against Churchill in September. Photo courtesy Chris Hannessian.

He finished his Viking career with a school record 2,974 yards rushing, 31 total touchdowns, and averaged over 5.5 yards a carry. Now, senior Zac Morton will take his talents to the University of Maryland after officially committing to play football for the Terrapins.

Morton played both running back and safety for the Vikes but will covert to only playing safety as he begins his career with the Terps. Morton will also redshirt his freshman season, like many other freshman do, to give himself an extra year to try to work into the new system.

The recruiting process for Morton started following his sophomore season when he began sending out highlight tapes and attending combines and college camps to showcase his skills for different schools.

“This has been a long process with a bunch of different schools at pretty much every level of football,” Morton said. “But once I got the news that Maryland was interested, they were my top choice.”

That news came about a month after the football season ended this fall, when Maryland coaches first contacted him.

Morton also considered Towson, Elon, UNC-Charlotte, and some smaller schools at the Divisions III level, but after Maryland’s interest, Morton set his mind on becoming a Terp.

As he transitions to the next level, Morton will be more undersized than most, but is ready to set up to the challenge that playing college football will bring.

“I’m just pumped for the test,” Morton said. “This will be the hardest thing I’ve ever done, but I have loved football for so long I believe I’m ready to compete at the next level.”

Coach Jim Kuhn, who has coached Morton since the end of his sophomore year, looks forward to seeing where Morton will go at Maryland and thinks that if he can put in the work; he will be able to find a spot to play.

“He is very football savvy and has great lateral movement and he sees the field very well,” Kuhn said. “It will be exciting to see where it ends up for him and hopefully he’ll earn an opportunity out there.”