New student Mathewe Banda elected as SGA president

Junior Mathewe Banda was elected as student body president Tuesday, April 1. Mathewe Banda is a first-year Whitman student, moving from Johannesburg, South Africa to Bethesda this past year.

While attending the American International School of Johannesburg, Banda played a major role in student government. Banda was a member of  student council since his freshman year, and was elected student body president sophomore year, an unprecedented feat. Banda also chaired Model United Nations conferences and organized community service conventions, some hosting over 400 students.

Banda decided to run for president after seeing what the SGA accomplished this year, particularly in LLS month.

“I’ve seen the SGA do amazing things over the course of this year, and I thought it was a great opportunity to bring Whitman even higher next year,” Banda said.

Banda plans to increase the amount of student-run activities next year, such as a student-run carnival, where students could create their own booths. Banda also feels that Whitman could be more connected to other local  high schools.

“I feel as though Whitman could be more connected with other schools around us, and not on a sports level, but a social level,” he said.

Junior Alex Hosker was elected vice president and junior Maxime Zamba won treasurer. Junior Nick Anderson and sophomore Katie Meyer were elected secretaries.

“It feels kind of unreal,” Banda said. “I also feel the responsibility, really; I have to show the school that I’m worthy of being their president. So I’m really inspired to push beyond my limits.”